Monday 10 September 2012

A Learning Experience...

Yes, it has been over 5 months since I last posted anything - and what an incredibly busy 5 months it has been!! Ontop of Sydney Theatre School and the two - almost three - productions I have performed in there, I have been involved in 4 student films (three lead roles and one supporting), a musical (Grease - playing the wonderfully dorky Eugene), extras work on numerous TV shows (mostly the new channel 10 drama Puberty Blues) and general, every day life. And I'm loving it.

I stumbled back across this blog today, after a session of learning my lines for my current STS production of As You Like It (I'm playing Touchstone and I love him - he's so witty and gets some of the best scenes!), and it got me back in the mood for documenting this incredibly long journey to my dream of acting.

Recently I had an audition for an upcoming ABC telemovie - my first audition for a role in a professional production. I was ridiculously excited, as one might expect. The movie is set in WW1 France, and so I spent the day before researching the heck out of Australia's involvement in France during WW1, had my lines learnt and was ready to go. I arrived at the casting director's studio about 15 minutes early - perfect! - and sat down in one of the three comfy couches they had in their waiting area. I was the only actor there. At 11:40, my audition time, Greg (the casting director) came in and said something that I missed entirely as I hurried to put my script that I'd been reading over back in my bag and stand up to shake his hand and make the best impression I could. He looked at me a little oddly and I flushed, realising he was waiting on a response to the thing he had said before. "I beg your pardon?" I asked, a tad breathless from embarrassment.
"How am I going for time?" he repeated.
"Oh, it's 11:40" I said after a quick glance to my watch.
"And your audition is at?"
"11:40" came my awkward response. "But I can wait for as long as I need to" I hurriedly replied, eager to show him I was easy going.
"Oh, no, I like to be on time - I like the word to get out that I stay on time."
I relaxed, sensing this incredibly awkward exchange was coming to a close. If only I'd listened to what he'd said when he first said it! "Oh, I'll definitely make sure to tell everyone how punctual you are!" I replied with a smile that, in my mind, was supposed to break the ice.
The audition went well, however I need to learn to not 'act' the scene, but play it for real. The first time I performed it as a perfectly rehearsed and prepared scene, which is not at all what they want. Greg told me that I had the perfect look and the right age range for the role, he just needed me to show him that I could be real. The second time I think I achieved this, or at least did a lot better. I walked away from the audition feeling confident and, perhaps more importantly, knowing that I had learned something.

I didn't get the role - the chances of getting a role on my first audition are ridiculously slim - but I definitely know that my next audition will be a lot better because of this learning experience. And on top of that I have been seen by another casting director, which is really what it's all about! Now on to my next audition!

No comments:

Post a Comment