Saturday 22 September 2012

In an old house in Paris, that was covered with vines...

Ok, so I'm not in Paris, but as I sit in this gorgeous old house that is indeed covered with vines, with the soundtrack to Amelie playing in the background, I may as well be.

I am house sitting the house of a friend of mine for the next week, and I'm sitting here, looking through two glass panelled doors, out over their beautiful garden and into the bush beyond, feeling a new-found sense of independence and excited for the adventure ahead that will be living by myself in someone else's house for the next seven days.

The closest I've come to this was schoolies at the end of last year, sharing a house with six of my friends, but it is very different when you are by yourself. For starters, I am not at all familiar with buying food for one person - I come from a family of 6, so this is a very odd occurrence for me. On top of that, there is the responsibility of doing everything yourself - all meals, looking after their cat etc - and not having anyone around to check with to see if you're doing something the right way. What is fantastic is getting this experience of independence without having to pay rent or bills, so it's a great and relatively stress-free taster for what is a very real possibility I may have to do next year, or at least some point in the future. 

So I'm very much looking forward to this week and having a whole house to myself - lots of space to learn lines, haha! - and some friends and I have even planned a costume drama party (as the house suits one perfectly!!) which will be heaps of fun.
Hopefully the house won't burn down and the cat will survive...fingers crossed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment